Friday, January 30, 2009

Field Notes to go

After writing about them a little while back, I’ve finally managed to lay my hands on some Field Notes notebooks. I found them at a little store near to where I work in Clerkenwell.
View Larger Map The shop is called Magma, a design bookstore that also caters for the funky objects that funky graphic designers’ desire. They stock a small but random range of obscure and stylish notebooks: notebooks for the left-handed, lined at an angle; some covered in old wall paper; do it yourself versions; pre-doodled; 50s and Japanese styled exercise books; and so on. The Field Notes were £8.95 for three. I also picked up some ‘Idea pads’, but more on them later. The Field Notes themselves looked smaller at first than I imagined. But checking them against my pocket Moleskine, they are in fact the same height and width. It must be the lack of thickness and a soft cover that make them seem so. First impressions? A little less impressive than in real life than the images I have seen online, but still neat. Paper thinner than I thought too, in fact, I do wonder if it will hold fountain pen ink without bleeding through. I will have to test them later with a variety of inks and pens. Otherwise I might just have to treat myself to a new pencil to go with them :-) Review to follow…

No comments:

Post a Comment